I don’t get it. Am I taking crazy pills?
Why are people shocked that The Chargers collapsed on Monday night? Why did people think they would win in the first place? This is exactly what they do every year. This is The Chargers recipe:
- Have a mediocre season. Let the media clamor for the firing of AJ Smith and Norv Turner.
- Allow them to keep their jobs. Make flashy draft selection that won’t pan out. Allow one of your best players to leave in free agency, do nothing to replace him. Resign mediocre talent at highest price possible.
- Talk up team in preseason as Superbowl contenders, despite lack of roster improvement.
- Back into wins against terrible teams thanks to influx of fluke turnovers (see Raiders and Chiefs this season). Lose games to quality opponents. Have 1-2 epic second half collapse(s). Blame refs whenever possible. Reference the ‘09 AFC Championship loss to The Pats.
- Have one great game towards the end of the season (usually a comeback win fueled by Rivers) that provides some type of inspiration for the next year. Talk about Gates coming back healthy being the fix (even though he hasn’t been healthy in four seasons). Ignore Phillip Rivers interception problem.
I have watched this every year. I have watched them run Drew Brees out of town, let Michael Turner leave, let Tomlinson leave, let Sproles leave and let Vincent Jackson leave just to name a few. They fired Shottenheimer after a 14-2 season. How do you do that? AJ Smith is the most stubborn GM in the history of the NFL. Norv Turner consistently calls a run up the gut on third and long.
I sat with a Chargers fan and watched the game last night. When the game went to halftime I asked him “What do you think the odds are that this turns into a close game? That The Chargers will lose this lead?” He sat quiet for a second and said the following “Norvs our coach, Rivers is our QB…The Broncos will make it close. Hell, they’ll probably win.” Then it happened.