Steelers keep slim playoff hopes alive; beat Bengals 30-20

The Bengals came into this game as favorites, for the first time in Pittsburgh since 1988. But, the Bengals, once again, fell to the Steelers. The Steelers improved to 6-8, while the Bengals dropped to 9-5. The Bengals still hold the No.3 seed in the AFC. The Steelers, mathematically, still have a chance for a spot in the playoffs, but it is very unlikely.

In the first quarter, just about everything went right for the Steelers and wrong for the Bengals. The Steelers scored 21 points before the first quarter ended, and the Bengals failed to even amass 30 total yards of offense.

Bengals punter Kevin Huber bobbled the snap on a punt attempt, and was tackled by Steelers safety Will Allen at the Bengals one yard-line. Two plays later, running back Le’Veon Bell scored a touchdown on a one-yard rush, with 9:58 left in the game’s opening quarter.

With 2:16 remaining in the first quarter, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger tossed a 12-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Antonio Brown, to put the Steelers up 14-0.

Antonio Brown returned a punt 67 yards for a score, with 1:12 left to go in the first quarter, making the score: Steelers 21-0. Bengals’ Kevin Huber suffered a fractured jaw on this play, forcing kicker Mike Nugent to punt for the rest of the night.

Kicker Shaun Suisham made a 25-yard field goal with 9:36 left in the second quarter, putting the Steelers up 24-0.

Running back Giovani Bernard scored a touchdown on a one-yard run, putting the Bengals on the scoreboard and decreasing the Steelers’ lead to 24-7.

With 1:14 left in the first half, kicker Shaun Suisham knocked through a 45-yard field goal, increasing the Steelers’ lead to 27-7.

Bengals’ outside linebacker James Harrison left the game in the first half with a concussion.

Shaun Suisham made a 26-yard field goal with 6:22 remaining in the third quarter, putting the Steelers up 30-7.

Bengals Quarterback Andy Dalton connected with Tyler Eifert on a one-yard touchdown pass, to cut the Steelers lead to 30-14 with 14:09 left in the game’s final quarter.

Andy Dalton completed a 13-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver Marvin Jones, but the Bengals failed on the ensuing two point attempt, making the score: Steelers 30-20 with 5:46 left in the game.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.