Just last month quarterback Jay Cutler expressed his concern over the Chicago Bears’ offensive line heading into this coming season. Cutler at the time said the line was “definitely going to be a concern.”
One of Cutler’s supporters since he aired his concerns, has been center Roberto Garza.
“I talked to Garza about it and asked if anyone was offended. He said no. He agreed with me,” Cutler said Friday on The Waddle & Silvy Show on ESPN 1000. “(I) didn’t throw anyone under the bus, didn’t name anybody specifically and say that they are a weak link. I just said until we get that front five we’ll see what happens. And I want those guys to push each other. I want them to compete and try to get in that starting lineup. Once we get those front five down and get a few weeks under their belt we’re going to be fine.”
Cutler indicated that the Bears front office has been sensitive at times and that without a strong offensive line, the offense isn’t really complete.
“The people in the Bears building are sometimes a little bit sensitive,” Cutler said. “You always want to be pro-Bears and complement your teammates and stuff but … over a three-year career here (the offensive line is) definitely at the forefront of my mind ever year. Until we get those front five hammered down we’re still kind of up in the air offensively even though we’ve got some really, really talented guys on the outside.”